Another week has passed.
And what a memorable week it has been.
I’m pretty tired, having been out a few times which is most irregular, and I have yet to catch up on the minimal sleep I’m used to. Instead of looking forward to a lie in this weekend, I’ve just been reminded that I’m parenting solo (as of now until Sunday) during which I have managed to commit myself to two third birthday parties on the same day. With two children. On my own.
We’ve run out of milk and bananas and I’ve already had a full scale argument about teeth brushing as well as one not-in-the-potty poo. It isn’t 9am yet. Standard.
Anyway, here are some things that have peed me off this week…
1) Trying to write blog posts on a mobile phone.
2) Being asked ‘is it Christmas?’ every morning since the big one’s birthday. Only five weeks to go, folks. Have mercy.
3) Being woken up every day at around 4am by a screaming child pummeling my door. This pisses me off most weeks to be fair.
4) The small one falling asleep in the car on the way back from the zoo at 4.30pm and subsequently, this view at 9.26pm after trying unsuccessfully to get him down to sleep for an hour.
5) Constant whining. As per.
6) Having someone park so close to my car that I had to leave the small one in the buggy and reverse out before I could get him in.
7) Buying salmon that only had one day before it went off (yes I realise this is a) my own fault and b) a bit of a first world problem but this is my list so it’s going on).
8) Being screamed at relentlessly from the moment of waking, all through breakfast and then the way to preschool (garnering many looks of sympathy from school run parents) because the big one doesn’t want to go to school; her teachers are horrible and she doesn’t like it and wants to stay at home and cuddle mummy, allegedly. I can deal with strops and tantrums but this one was epic. Her teacher even felt the need to ring me to tell me she was FINE (of course she bloody was).
9) Being screamed at for half an hour on Wednesday because she couldn’t go to school… because she doesn’t do preschool on a Wednesday.
But it’s not all doom and gloom. There have been some things that have been awesome this week;
3) Seeing her grandparents’ joy at her joy at opening her birthday presents
4) Lots and lots of birthday cake.
5) Blagging my way into the launch of Propel’s new Star Wars drones at Madame Tussauds. No, I’m not a closet Star Wars nerd, but it sounded like fun, and it was fun.
6) The kids playing nicely for 15 minutes at soft play and being able to drink half a cup of tea until the big one inadvertently smashed her new friend in the face with a (soft) brick. Gives me hope for the future.
I thought it looking like a lovely Disney scene and was considering bringing them home with me to see if they could make a dress and then someone pointed out that they could have bitten her. They didn’t.